Thursday 30 September 2010

It's me!

I posed for the illustrator, she took photos of me first in my living room at my childhood home, then created this amazing picture with coloured pencils...very 1980's style!

Yvonne Gilbert; the illustrator who drew the cover used to live down my road when I was about 10 years old. I think I got £7 for the job!!

Anyway, I think I can safely say that it was that experience of being on the front cover of a Judy Blume book inspired me to be an illustrator..... I did tell Yvonne Gilbert when I spoke to her on the phone a few years ago. I was working at Random House childrens book publishers, I had the job of returning artwork to illustrators that had been hanging around in the artwork cupboard for years. She had done alot of illustrations for Random House over the years.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Catherine! Wow, that was you!? I remember that cover really well, it used to be one of my fave Judy Blume's! Those intricately drawn covers used to fascinate me too! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that might be the coolest claim to fame ever! The only possible way it could have been cooler is if you'd been "Are You There God, It's Me, Margaret"!

    ReplyDelete